[alfa] Malfunctioning Spica Fuel Cutoff

I noticed my daily driver '73 GTV was backfiring a bit and the indicator light I had installed to show when the fuel cutoff was activated was never lighting up. Then when I filled up with gas the mileage had gone down from 27 to 24. Bummer.

I checked the wire that feeds the microswitch, and it is providing 12 volts. I also put 12 volts to the fuel cutoff solenoid, and it clicks and kills the engine, hence it is operational. Sounds to me like my microswitch is not working. Real Bummer!

The micro switch is essentially impossible to service with Spica pump on the engine (even if the engine is OUT of the car!), and removing the pump is a PITA no matter what method is used. I really dislike doing this kind of repair in the winter. I'm thinking the microswitch is the culprit, probably because it has gotten dirty/greasy. I could tolerate the malfunction for a few months until warm weather when I can take the car down for a proper repair, but it irks me to know my mileage is 10% less and listening to the minor exhaust backfiring is a constant reminder that its broken. Any suggestions for cleaning the microswitch - or alternative explanations?

Thanks, //kct, Powell, TN