[alfa] V6 mechanical tensioner install question

Hi all,

I'm in the process of the timing belt/water pump maintenance on my Milano 3.0. I replaced the previous mechanical tensioner with a new one. I'm doing the "rotate the engine 4 times" thing and the belt seems to be moving too far forward on the cam sprockets and distributor drive (it's no longer completely on the sprockets- it's overhanging the front edge about 1/8"). I've started over several times with the same results.

So, I'm wondering whether I've screwed something up with the tensioner installation. There is one very thick washer under the tensioner on the pivot nut, and no washer behind the tensioner on the tensioning nut. Since the tensioning nut part of the tensioner is not bottomed on the engine case, I could imagine that the tensioner body might twist inward from the nut force, causing the front-facing edge of the top of the roller to angle downward. This might contribute to the belt sliding off in that direction. However, the torque on the nut is only 20 ft-lb (I'm using a torque wrench), so it seems unlikely that the tensioner is bending. Am I missing a washer under the tensioner nut area? If my installation is correct, is the movement of the belt cause for alarm? Right now it seems to hang about 1/8" over the front part of both cam sprockets, while the old belt seemed more centered.

Thanks in advance for any tips on the mechanical tensioner.

Regards,

Jeff Jensen
jjensen@domain.elided
San Francisco