[alfa] Brits and Classics

I've somewhat followed this thread.

I can certainly see the value in 'exercising' vintage machinery -
especially if it began life as a race car.

However, the only way the bodywork of a mutilated vintage car is going
to race the following week would be the result of a shop inflicting even
lower standards than those used by Earl Schieb on a bad day.

True, I have a friend who claims he used to go to British used car lots
and see them taking newspapers and stretching over a missing door panel,
painting, and hoping no one noticed.

I've also talked to a good handful of people who purchased 'restored'
cars from the UK and ended up with rust buckets in the making.

Don't get me wrong, if the British Isles sunk into oblivion, one could
pretty much kiss Formula 1 good-bye. They have some right good buggers
there who have the ability to do most anything automotive wise - except
they don't have any (in my opinion) who can restore a crashed valuable
classic car back to complete originality in one week.

Trust me, don't ever vote for me to be dictator of the world, since I
would insist any damage inflicted on classic cars - racing or otherwise
- would be settled immediately, with the inflictee (even if it is the
owner hisself) paying all damages.

Biba
Irwindale (a tiny island floating amongst the surrounding gravel pits)
CA, USA