[alfa] Brits and Classics

The Brits really do have the right attitude, use it or lose it.  And we
,the spectators, are the beneficiaries.  Sometimes they get a little
uncontrolled.  I went to Silverstone in '97 to see the historics,
Ferraris 50th.  During the large bore race, 5, I repeat, 5, Lola T-70
wipped each other out going into the FIRST turn after the sart line on
the FIRST lap.  These were all the front row cars.  There was quite a bit
of damage done to the cars,  At the race end they were all loaded unto a
transporter together.  I talked with one of the owners and he really
seemed non pulsed about it all and said they were all going off to the
shop and would be back on the race circuit within a week or two.  As
stated previously, England has the "cottage industry" to address these
things.

Their historic races make ours look like controlled pace laps or
restricted "racing".  I have never seen such hotly contested vintage
racing and I thoroughly enjoyed it.   The highlight to me were 2
brothers, one in a 312PB ther other in a 512S battling each other tooth
and nail lap after lap giving each other no quarter.  Fantastic stuff,
harkened back to seeing the Makes races at the Glen in the 70's.

The Brits do try to respect each others cars while racing but don't let
the cars value restrict their fun.  Surprisingly, except for the Lola
incident, there were very incidents of contact just real good racing.

I know my comments are going to lead to rebuttals but their are very few
totally original race cars out their, they were race cars and damage and
replacement parts were not of a concern.  If the car is truely original
then they won't be in this sort of thing.  Parade laps are fine.  But if
you have the money and England the restores, then use the car as it was
meant to be used.  Cal