[alfa] Amusing old race shown on Speed

The other night, Speed, on their Legends of Motorsport series, showed film
from a 1964 six-hour race for saloon cars from Sandown Park, Australia.
Entered along with the usual gaggle of cars were a 427 Ford Galaxie,
some Lotus Cortinas (one driven by Jackie Stewart), a trio of Minis
driven by factory stars of the day (Aaltonen, Makinen, and Hopkirk),
and a Giulia Super (actually, there may have been two Giulias, but the
other may have been a Ti).  From the announcer's comments, this car was
considered quite unusual, and its performance surprised everyone.

The Galaxie was on pole, the Giulia about mid-pack, and the Minis near
the back of the grid (I have two Minis, in addition to my one Alfa).
The Ford eventually succumbed to brake failure (twice!) while leading,
and the race was won by the Giulia, with the Minis third through fifth
(I think a Cortina was second).  One of the Minis led briefly.

jamesm