[alfa] re: Speedo Question

The final drive shouldn't be an issue. Silvers and Platinums both had 4.10:1 final drives. If you'd gotten your new transaxle from a Verde (3.55:1) or an SZ 3.90:1), then you might have a problem because of the final drive. The issue that you might run into is that the Silver had 14" wheels with (IIRC) 195/60 tires, while the Platinum had 15" wheels with 195/60 tires, giving a larger total diameter. The easy solution would be to fit a wheel/tire combination with the same total diameter as the Platinum's OEM wheel/tire combo.

-Joe

At 8:10 PM +0000 1/18/04, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 13:28:13 EST
From: RThefarm@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Speedo Question

Essteemed Alfisti,

I have finally gotten around to making some progress on my daily
driver/occasional track use project Milano. It is a '87 Milano Silver. I have
just finished putting in a Transaxle from a Platinum with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears
lightened - 4.10 final drive gears - limited slip. All the cool guy stuff. My question is: will the speedometer read correctly? My guess is that it will
not due to the change in final drive ratio. In this case, is there a way to
make it read correctly? I used the speed sender from the original transaxle in
case this maters.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Chris Rundlett
1982 Spider Veloce