Re: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1086

What's the idea of posting hard evidence instead of wild speculation?! Keep that up and we'll have to move the thread to off-topic! :)

Seriously... thank you for posting your results. They suggest I should have nothing to fear with the small amount I needed to remove to bring my shims in spec. I'll add this info to the Wiki shortly.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org

Nash Bap wrote:

"The results of my shim hardness test is as follows:
First I tested 2 standard shims. One came up at 55 rockwell the
other came up at 48 rockwell, a little variation between them for
reasons I am not sure. Then, I machined 4 seperate shims. Results
are;

Thickness removed / Rockwell
.0025" 41
.005" 41
.010" 35
.015" 29

These shims are only case hardened and I wouldn't recommend taking
more than .002-.003 maximum off the shim if the correct shim cannot
be found. I hope these findings are helpfull. Regards, Peter."