[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1080 - 3rd Gear Pop Out

In a message dated 1/14/2004 1:47:21 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 07:24:04 -0500
From: "Joseph A Fillip, Jr." <joseph.fillipjr@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] 3rd Gear Pop Out

Recently, my '67 Giulia Super has developed a habit of popping out of third
gear, usually when slowing, but occasionally while accelerating.

A friend, fellow Digester and bon vivant (you know who you are) has
suggested the existing lube in the tranny,  and changing the lube to the
manufacturer's spec, as the possible cause of and solution to this problem.

I know that the gear box is currently filled with Shell Spirax. I also know
that Shell Dentax is the recommended lube.

I recall that one or more Digesti had located a source for Dentax, and I
beleive that source was located in western New York. If anyone has that
information, or a source for Dentax somewhat closer to me (I'm outside of
Philadelphia), I'd appreciate it. I'd also be interested in any other
diagnoses of the current pop-out problem.

Thanks for any and all help.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
---------------
Joe,
    A change of fluid might help.  In Alfas with consoles, that is the first
place to check.  Normally the shifter touches the console in either first or
fifth gear and causes it to pop out of gear.
    I have also seen a case where the bearings inside the transmission were
bad.  In my case, it was the bearing on the rear end of the lay shaft and that
caused the lay shaft to move around and the transmission would pop out of
reverse gear.
    You might check the spring loaded detent balls that hold the shift rods
in place.  They are on the top front of the transmission, but you should be
able to get to them if you drop the rear of the transmission.  There are two 6 mm
bolts holding three detent ball spring cups.  Since third gear is in the
middle of that arrangement, that does not seem likely to be the problem, but you
can check that without removing the transmission from the car.  Or you do no
have to take it clear out, just half way.
    Hopefully, a change in gear lube will solve the problem.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City