[alfa] Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System - FANTASTIC!

Usually, the mere sound of "$19.99...as seen on TV!"
sends me running in the other direction. This time I
got suckered in and decided to give a TV-advertised
gizmo a try.  The Mr. Clean system consists of an
overgrown garden hose spray head attachment that has a
reservoir for special Mr. Clean car soap, plus a
replaceable, dual de-ionizing filter made by Pur
Technology.

The claim is that by using this thing, you will never
have to manually dry your car. Here in San Diego, we
have VERY hard water and when it dries, it leaves
mineral spots that won't ever come off again with
normal washing...one needs to polish them out!  I
like to wash, but hate the time-consuming process of
drying the car and doing outside glass.

For $19.99, the system comes with a starter bottle of
Mr. Clean soap and a starter filter...both good for
about 3 washes. Replacement soap and filter packs are
good for 10 washes each (perhaps 15 on small cars like
Alfas) and will set you back $10 total, just $1 per
wash.

Rather skeptical, I tried this product on my Milano
today for the first time. Increadible! I wet the car
down, turned the unit dial to "soap" and filled my
bucket with suds, rather than spray the soap directly
to the car. Used a wash mitt and immediately noticed
that this "special soap" really IS special. It has
tons of surficants and seems to not dry out like other
car soaps. I used the system to first rinse using
plain water, then turned the dial to the final,
de-ionized (filtered) rinse. A very fine mist comes
out and a perfectly smooth sheet of water envelops the
car. Kind of wierd.

I resisted my temptation to use the chamois and let
the car air dry on its own. Truly, I could not believe
my eyes. The car was sparkling, with not a single
water spot anywhere to be found...even where small
"rivers' of water form lines as the car drains. The
windows look like somebody spent one hour with glass
cleaner...no spots, no streaks! Most unexpected was
the increadible clarity of the finish. I now realize
that before I always had a micro-film of minerals
remaining over the paint, which dulled the depth of
the clear coat a bit. Many people commented on how
fabulous the Milano looked today.

I must have saved 1 hour or more by bypassing the
drying ritual and exterior glass cleaning.  Do I
recommend it...absoultely! No, I don't work for Mr.
Clean, but couldn't wait to tell other Alfisti about
this great time-saver. Go get one at your local Target
or Wal-Mart

Oh...one other rather unexpected benefit:  The Mr.
Clean car soap actually smells good!  No fooling, it
smells almost identical to some popular types of
shower gels sold in Europe.  It was so strange,
washing the car brought me back to happy year I spent
driving the spectacular Greek shoreline in my Alfa 33.

Go get one.

Diogenio
San Diego, CA