[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1072

John Hertzman states:

On Jan 11, 2004, at 8:58 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

On the Skoda question, it appears that Skoda was an appreciably older company than Alfa.
Indeed it is. Skoda was a munitions works, founded in the mid-19th century. In WWI, they supplied the Kaiser's forces with many large cannon and a number of small arms. I'm not 100% sure of this, but it seems to me that Skoda made the huge, railroad mounted
"Paris" guns with which the Germans bombarded Paris in 1917-18 from more than 30 miles away. As for their connection with Fiat, I believe that Skoda's involvement with the Czech-built Fiat was more in the line of a joint venture than a license, but memory is faulty and gets worse with age, so......

George Graves
'86 GTV-6