RE: [alfa] RE: acronyms & initials

> >>ASAP is an acronym
>
> Mike is correct, but ASAP is only an acronym if it's
> pronounced "A Sap" and not "A Ess A Pee."

In the fwiw dept, Websters.com shows more than one definition:

ac.ro.nym   n.
A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's
Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words,
such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

acronym

<jargon> An identifier formed from some of the letters (often
the initials) of a phrase and used as an abbreviation. This
dictionary (dictionary.com) contains a great many acronyms; see
the contents page for a list.

See also TLA.

Disclaimer - I are not a Englesh majur..

bs