Re: [alfa] Re: acronyms

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Joe Elliott wrote:
> I probably used BL and SU in my Jag post referring to British Leyland
> (company that owned Jag and others in the '70s and threw quality control
> out the window, resulting in a poor reputation that two subsequent decades
> of reliabe Jags can't seems to shake, and other sad tales like the Rover
> SD1 and Triumph Stag), and S.U. Carburetors (as in the name of the
> carburetor manufacturer--what, if anything, it actually stood for, I don't
> know, but I'm sure somebody like John H. would).

SU stood for Skinner's Union.  I believe they were involved in leather
manufacture prior to getting into the carb trade.  They may have been
involved in making leather seals in the very early days of motoring.

I don't believe the company still exists.  The name now belongs to
Burlen, in the UK, which continues to manufacture SU carbs and parts
for the classic market, as well as other fuel systems.

Not to stir that pot again, but while BL certainly contributed mightily
to Jag's sagging reputation (and, in truth, nearly killed the entire
British motor industry), Jag had plenty of supplier problems before
the BL days.  Much of this was caused by sheer bloody mindedness on the
part of the suppliers.  SU continued to supply carbs to everyone from
BMC to Rolls Royce that had no replaceable throttle-shaft bushings,
meaning guaranteed air leaks within a few thousand miles of use, and
no easy way to repair them.  Lucas made electrical connectors that were
guaranteed to corrode within months of exposure to any damp climate.

jamesm