Re: [alfa] Re: RE: V6 Engine Swaps - Another Rational Idea...

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Joe Elliott wrote:
> >How 'bout a Ford 5.0 into a Jag E-type?  It's been done.
>
> ...and it's disgusting.  Why replace a historically-significant engine
> that can be tweaked to put out 300 smooth, reliable horsepower with a POS
> pushrod V8 of little or no historical or technological significance?  It

Hrm.  I'd say that calling the Ford (or Chevy) small-block V8 of
no historical significance is substantially missing a good deal of
automotive history.  I'll agree completely that replacing the Jag engine
with a Merkin V8 is missing the point of the Jag (and unfairly blaming
the frequent reliability problems on the engine, when it's usually other
bits that go wrong).  However, I see no need to trash the American Iron
in the same breath.

While the Jag six is historically significant, I can't say it's
particularly technologically significant, nor is it all that interesting
technically, except in how anachronistic it could be (pre-war style
horsehair oil seals used as late as the 60s, for example).  It's a pretty
engine and sounds nice, but it's also quite large and incredibly heavy.
The "POS" Ford weighs quite a bit less despite much larger displacement,
and while you can tweak a 3.8 Jag to 300hp, you can tweak a 302 Ford
to over 400, and it will still weigh less, and is smaller overall.
Pushrod engines also keep their weight down low (no big heavy DOHC cam
drive), allowing a lower CG, and generally a better handling car.

jamesm