[alfa] RE:HELP CAN'T GET REAR DOOR OPEN!

John,

I assume that you are in europe if you are calling it a 75 so your locks may
be
different than in the US.  In the US there are child safety locks on the rear
doors
of the Milano/75.  If you look at the other door just under (or over?) the
latch there is a
small lever to switch them on and off.  What I have had happen is that the
doors
tend to sag just enough for this lever to drag on the quarter panel and move
the
switch half way between locked and unlocked.  If you are lucky you may be able
to work the inner and outer handles rapidly together and the door may pop
open.
It's worked for me a few times.  The last time I had this happen the car had
been
rear ended and when I opened and shut the door it was really jammed.  The only
way I could get it open was to pull the door panel off (have to remove the
rear
seat with the door closed), and removed the outer handle.  From the outside
you can see the inside of the latch assembly.  On the very top there is the
pivot
of the safety latch.  You should be able to move it one way or the other.  It
really
doesn't matter which way you go because it only locks out the inside handle.

If this works for you the next thing you should do is cut off the lever
(shorter using
a dremmel with a cutoff wheel works well).  Do the other side as well.

Good Luck,
Dave McCrory
In Tennessee
87' Verde