[alfa] Re: Oil Pressure Sender

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:43:51 -0600
From: Ralph Moorhouse <ralfalfa@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] V^ oil pressure sender

The oil pressure sender on my 2.5 Milano(75) may be going bad (I hope
that
is the problem!!).  Typically I have seen 20 psi at idle & 55+ at speed
(>3000 rpm).  Been that way for 45,000 miles in my ownership (now 118,000
on car). Suddenly I get zero at idle (when hot) and around 50 psi at
>3000
rpm (15 - 50 at lower rpm).  Based on all other Alfa's I've had or have,
would consider this fairly typical but............!
Two questions;

1.  I've got a new sender unit and it looks like a PITA to R&R from
between
the V and close to firewall.  Before i start modifying wrenches does
anyone
have any good tips for the R&R?

A 14mm Craftsman stubby combination wrench will work and, I'm sure, other
brands as well but wrench thickness can be an issue.  I welded up a
specialty tool which makes the job a little easier as the space is
tight.  Lift the battery cable out of it's holders at the bell-housing to
give yourself more room.  A drop of LocTite Hydraulic sealant on the new
sender's threads helps keep the copper gasket in place on assembly.

2.  Anyone installed a mechanical gauge and what fittings are required -
seem to remember its an odd thread & not typically available in US (how
about UK?).  Thought this might help clarify if another problem or not>

Thread size is 10mm X 1.  You can buy a guage adapter kit at your local
autoparts store for about $5 that should include what you need.  That and
a common high pressure fuel pressure test guage assy - about $30 - should
tell you what you need to know.

Any suggestions, tips etc welcome.
TIA
Have a safe & good 2004

Ralph
Houston TX
ps:  Another random thought;  Did an oil/filter change at beginning of
month.  Could pressure relief valve in filter (OEM Alfa) have gone bad &
lead to low oil pressure?

I doubt it.  Guage pressure sender failure is common.

Graham L. Davis St. Louis, MO