RE: [alfa] Window tint

> Does anyone know how to remove aftermarket window tint?  After receiving
my
> speeding ticket last night (doh!) the officer read me the
> riot act on the illegalities of tinting front side windows in
> this fine state.

Peter,

The reason your Verde still has window tint is because I removed it from the
Bora first.  After that adventure, I figured I'd rather spray paint the
windows black on another car before I'd remove window tint again.

That said, it can be done.  Best to start with a razor blade and a hair
dryer, chances are the tint itself will peel off rather easily leaving a
layer of residue that becomes your real problem.

The best I found for that was a product called "Goof Off", I used that a
bunch of times, followed up by Windex.  The whole process took 3-4 days for
the entire car, an hour or two per day (which was all my arms could handle).

If you get pulled over again before you get a chance to remove it, a friend
who also happens to be a minority has told me that the official protocol is
to lower all of your windows before the police get to your car.  Their
biggest concern is that there might be somebody on the other side of the
dark glass holding a weapon, so if you lower all the windows they will
appreciate the fact that you're making an effort to set them at ease, and
they'll go a little bit easier on you.

I got pulled over once in that Verde for the tinted glass, and bluffed my
way out of it by telling the officer that I had taken the car to the
registry and they had verified it was just on the legal side of the tint
limit.  He didn't have any way to measure it, so he just let me go with some
words of warning.

HTH,

bs