[alfa] Homemade windshield washer fluid?

I was considering making my own windshield washer fluid. The preparations I buy in stores around here are not satisfactory. They freeze on the windshield even if it is just below freezing and I am going 10 mph. I know that windshield washer fluids are made up with glycols or methanol, but the contents are usually not stated on the container, and if so, the concentration is missing. This makes it very hard to shop for washer fluid and I once read a test that said that the fluids are usually too dilute and rarely live up to their claims "protects to -20"...

I believe that glycols are banned in some state due to their negative impact on the environment. I respect the environment and do not intend to use an illegal compound. There may also be laws about having to add foul-tasting agents to glycols to discourage animals from ingesting the sweet but toxic glycol if spilled.

Within those constraints, would it be possible to make one's own winter windshield washer fluid and avoid getting ripped off buying ineffective dyed water?

Sonny
'91 164S
Baltimore