[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1035

What really is the design purpose of the V6 tensioner/detensioner? As far as I have been able to understand full oil pressure pushes the rod out of the device which in turn reduces the tension on the belt . Full oil pressure is attained around 3500rpm and higher in a hot engine; however you also have full oil pressure in a stone cold engine. Surely you don't want full detensioning to occur on a cold engine.

Any comments?

nash

m: "John Hertzman"
Subject: [alfa] Fred and Herb on the detensioner (long, part two, 1991)

In our original article on rebuilding the detensioner (see the March 1990 issue of Velocissima) Fred and I mentioned a modification to the bushing or sleeve which provides a bearing for the piston shaft of the tensioner. This sleeve is pressed into the bottom of the cylinder of the tensioner and has an internal groove to retain the U-shaped seal which seals the piston shaft against the internal oil pressure.
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now