[alfa] Fred and Herb on the detensioner (part one, second attempt, introduction)

in AD9-1034 Tony Lupton wrote "I'd be curious to know What did Fred had to say on the subject."

Fred and Herb Bridge, an MIT engineering professor who was his good friend, right hand and alter ego wrote on the subject in 1990 and 1991 in "Velocissima"; some but not all of it was reprinted in "Alfa Owner". It may be largely moot and/or of academic interest. Because of the 10,000 character limit I split it into two parts. Part two, dating from 1991, appeared in AD9-1035. Part one, this introduction and the 1990 material, evidently ran into the 10,000 character limit; the character count was 8,492 but the character count INCLUDING SPACES was 10,420. So, another try, with a second split.

The part two, without an introduction, looked like I was claiming authorship participation. I had nothing to do with it; it is all Fred and Herb.

Tony Lupton has looked up what Fred wrote on detensioners on the digest five years ago. The gist is that in his opinion both the original Alfa design and the ARDONA replacement, PROPERLY INSTALLED AND ADJUSTED, work well, even if the engine is turned backwards. He did not have a high opinion of the Zat version. His opinion then of course preceded any possible later quality-related failures.

As always, enjoy yours-

John H.