[alfa] Re: Pittatore Cams

Even vintage British motorcycles have performance cams with "quieting
ramps"
I didn't know Snortons had Iso-lastic cams too? ;) Those farm implement motors must be real rattlers! ;) Ah, but with the "Norton Girl" on top, who cared? As for cams, read an old Shankle or Ricambi catalog for an education on Alfa cams. Also the back of the Kartalamakis book has a lot of cam info., he uses "Kent Cams". A good choice for max. performance and good street drivability is stated as having an 8L rating, which equates to something like just under 11mm lift, 245 deg. duration measured at .050". They should "come on" somewhere over 3000 rpm's. By comparison, the so called "Euro" cams (10548's) only have a rating of 5. Now, when a Veloce was a real Veloce!, i.e. the 1600 Veloce, those cams (10121's) were rated at 7. I think any cam rated at 7 or above will be "lazy up to 3500 rpm's". Of course the 2 liter will not rev like a 1600 or 1750, but you can lighten the flywheel to 14 lbs or thereabouts, safely, I've heard.

Look at Colombo & Bariani cams, http://www.colombo-bariani.com/listino.html The AR 105.280S is popular and as I recall is around the 8 or 8L rating, the L meaning "low" for a bit more low end torque. (the duration on that web page is not measured at .050", BTW) I know Don Ereminas carries them here in the sates, he advertises in the Owner and will give you good advice. They are also available from Euro sources. Carbs or FI ? Makes a difference on cam choice too. With "flat top" pistons, I suppose the compression ratio has changed? ( "hey, that thang got a hemi?") that can be checked too.

Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa
Triumph Bonneville
101 Spider Veloces

Is there a reasonably quiet cam
that give Pittatore-like performance? I'm looking for strong mid-range and good
top end. The Pittatores were described to me as being "lazy up to 3,500" and
that's ok. 3,500 to 6,500 is where I drive. I don't want something that doesn't
start 'till 4,000. Any thoughts?
Stevan Thomas