[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #1034

I'm no expert, but here's what I've read about octane requirements and
to me it makes sense:

All things being equal, using a fuel that too low an octane for your
engine will cause pre-detonation, or pinging whereby the air/fuel
mixture ignites before the piston is past top-dead-center. Serious
pre-detonation can damage connecting rods, hole pistons, etc. mild
pre-detonation is hard on bearings. Increasing octane slows, or rather
delays detonation, assuring, in high compression ratio engines that the
air/fuel mixture ignites after TDC. This is GOOD except when it's
delayed too much. If the piston is on it's way down when detonation
occurs (post detonation) there is a possibility that valves could be
opening while there is still burning going on in the combustion chamber
and this can burn valves. This is less of a problem today with
electronic fuel injection and variable valve/ignotion timing, but it
could be a problem with our older Alfa Romeos. Use the grade of gas
closest to the highest recommended by the manufacturer for that model
car, but no higher.  I have a GTV-6 with a 3-liter six in it. The
manual recommends 86 to 91 (US method) and I use 91. Hope this helps.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6