RE: [alfa] Battery Cable for 1974 Spider

> The previous owner of my 1974 Spider put the battery in a
> marine box and relocated it to the dead center of the trunk.
> I would like to move it back to its original location in the
> engine compartment.  As I do not have the original positive
> cable, I will fabricate a new one. That is, unless someone
> has one they want to get rid of.
>
> My question are: how is the wire snaked to the starter? Does
> it run between the engine and the firewall, in front of the
> radiator, under the engine, or some other place I haven't
> thought of.  Does the alternator wire run to the starter or
> the battery?  Any description, pictures or drawings would be
> of great assistance.

From memory, there is a wire going from the alternator to the battery.
There's also a wire running from the alternator to the starter, through
the engine compartment wiring harness along the drivers side, between
the engine and the firewall, down to the starter.

My question is why do you want to do this?  For originality?  Trunk
space?

You're better off with the battery in the trunk, for a variety of
reasons.  Although I'll grant that it's better towards the side of the
trunk.

With the battery in the trunk you have much better weight distribution.
The weight of the battery is significant enough to make a noticable
difference in the handling.

Furthermore, you've got much better access to things in the engine
compartment with the battery elsewhere.  The water pump, alternator, oil
filter, etc.

Again, I don't know what your motivation is, but I'd consider finding
the trunk mounting hardware that was used in the later Spiders, and
simply relocating the battery in your trunk.

HTH,

bs