Re: [alfa] hard brake lines

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:58:05 -0500 "Giller,Bruce C." <bgiller@domain.elided> wrote:
> 	There are four things I need: 1) flaring tool 2) hard brake line, 3)
> fittings, and 4) tube bender.

> 	1) The flaring tools I've seen can do single, double and ISO flares.
> Which one do I need?

ISO as i recall; Alfas use a metric bubble flare (M10) that's fairly
common on euro cars.

single flares are bad news unless you're switching to the AN system
(which is your 4th choice, but that requires adapters that thread into
the calipers, master cylinder, and proportioning valve to convert the
M10 fitting to 3AN. i generally prefer to convert for the simplicity of
dealing with it afterwards, but 1) i'm weird that way and 2) most
shops won't recognize the AN stuff when they see it. english thread
SAE stuff gives the superficial impression of mating with AN, but
doesn't really, so there's the opportunity for bad bad mistakes there.)

> 	2) What size brake line do I need?

3/16". use bundyweld if you can get it. galvanized steel, don't use
anything softer.

> 	3) Where can I find the end fittings since there seems to be two
> different types?  Or should I reuse the old ones?

they're probably pretty rusty. i always switch to AN, and so don't
know where to get the ISO bits.

> 	Any special 'gotchas' for making a good quality brake line?

patience, regular checks of fitment while making the line, etc.

i usually cut it long, bend to fit, and then shorten the ends and
install the fittings.

richard