From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
To: "alfa-digest" <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Cc: <100662.3423@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 6:41 PM
Subject: [alfa] Nearside / Offside

> I almost invariably agree with Keith Walker (as I certainly did in his
recent exception to Brad Anesi's loose use of 'factory recommended' for an
ARDONA modification: Alfa content) but his explanation that "Near side is
nearest the curb, off side is the side away from the curb" is at odds with
all dictionary explanations I have seen. All give 'near' and off' as left
and right respectively, not reversing them for countries, like the USA,
which drive and park on the wrong side of the road with opposite curbs.. The
staid, even archaic O.E.D. gives for 'near', "With reference to animals or
vehicles: left (as opposed to far, off, or right", and says that this use is
based on the fact that horses and cattle are commonly mounted, led, or
approached from the left, and gives numerous citations, the earliest in 1559
of "a filly with a white neare foote behinde". Paved urban streets with
curbs (or kerbs) may occasionally have existed that early, (streets yes,
curbs probably no) but if t!