[alfa] Re:Timing belt life

Karl Doll has picked me up on the 50,000 mile life of cam belts I mentioned. I
should qualify my comments. For reasons I do not comprehend V6 12v Cam belts
have an intended life of 50,000, but ought to be changed at about 35,000. The
V6  24v cam belts have an intended life of 70,000, but 50,000 is the usual
change time, and whilst these intervals are anything but set in stone, they do
cover the vast majority of eventualities. If you want to do them more often,
thats fine.

Did I mention that some MOT stations are refusing to test Diesel cars with cam
belts unless proof is provided that the belts have been changed at the
required interval. Apparently there have been a lot of belt failures during
the high throttle emissions test, followed by flying writs.

My wife and son have just been whisked off for a spin in my friends new RX
8....Hmmmm

Tim Hancock   Boston Uk

164TS
164Super