[alfa] Offside and Nearside

Mike Smith says "The most puzzling British useage is nearside and offside"

I agree, I'm always getting this one wrong, but the usage originates from the
days when horses ruled the highways. Nearside is the left and Offside is the
right. Now you are going to ask me why aren't you? Well funnily enough I have
the answer. You lead a horse from the left, you mount and dismount a horse
from the left, you saddle a horse from the left,so this is your Nearside. The
other side is therefore the Offside.

In Cricket the Offside is the half of the field divided by a line down the
middle of he stumps, in which the batsman is NOT standing at the crease (So
the side he is standing is the Nearside...Right???)  WRONG!!!!!! its the
Onside....Which just goes to show how daft we English really are.

Surely, in the land of Roy Rogers and Trigger, you talk of nothing else!

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164 TS
164 Super