[alfa] 164 fool pump revisited

so in theory i'll get the 164 back on monday.

however, despite the new fool pump (no, it wasn't a pointless change,
i verified the old pump had problems) and the new fool pump and ecu
relays (no sense expending hours of mechanic's time chasing a pair
of $15 relays), it's still not as reliable as it should be.

what we're seeing suggests a problem some where with a ground
or wiring harness. the pump doesn't run, but when we pull the
connector and put in a test light, we see 12 volts, when we plug
it back in, it generally runs.

i presume from this that i probably ought to be suspicious of the
connector in the trunk and the wiring around it. does anyone have
any experience that bears on this issue?

thanks,
  richard