[alfa] RE: Saab wheels (Alfa related)

>I have heard before of a 15x6 panaport look-a-like rim that was offered on
>Saab's that has the 4x108 lug pattern. I've looked for info on the
>archives about this but only found that they do work on the gtv's w/
>center bore modification. I am interested in these rims and was wondering
>if anyone had a pic of them (on a GTV or any alfa would be great). Also,
>what model Saab(s) did they come on, and what years.

I knew there would be a use for all my hoarded automotive brochures...

In 1983, my parents bought a new 900 turbo from Paradise Motors in Marin
County, also an Alfa dealer. Incredibly, I still have the accessories
catalog from that year, and the wheels are clearly shown. They look like
Panasports, with eight, uh, teeth, or claws, or whatever.

In the Saab literature they are described as both "Shelby Metalux" and
Ronal. I've never heard of the former but the latter is/was a well known
aftermarket wheel brand.

Here are the part numbers:

Shelby Metalux 02 05 393 silvervane (more like anthracite)
Shelby Metalux 02 05 401 gold finish
Ronal Sport    00 24 380 silver

The size is also 15x5-1/2"

Will fit 900 models from 1979.

Looking through this catalog again made me reflect on how cool Saabs were
back then, and the pairing of Alfa and Saab at a dealership must have made
it a fun place to work.

Chris Robyn
SF Bay Area
'88 Milano Verde