[alfa] '78 spider issues

Hi Ben,

1) When I was younger and less wise (okay, who are we kidding, I still am less wise), I used to drive through this big puddle at SCU real fast 'cause it reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean, only much better. But the car didn't run poorly afterward....just a data point for comparison.

2) I've got 195/65 tires on my spider, stock suspension, and I think people have gone up to 205 without problems. I'm guessing 185 will be fine, but see if others will confirm that for a lowered car. I will say that I have the RE950s on my '97 Golf, and am very happy with them in the wet or dry.

3) Top leaks from where? My newer, but budget-priced top, leaks above the vent window on the driver's side. I think you can adjust it, but I've never tried. The old one leaked above both vent windows, and through the hole on the side :)

4) Banging on the driveshaft tunnel - the spiders do have some axle tramp on hard acceleration. Not a problem, but if you can get under the car, you might want to just check the giubo for cracks or missing chunks to reassure yourself. If that's not it, I also get vibration (transmission) against the tunnel when cornering really hard and accelerating on the track (Sears Point final hairpin turn), but not on the road. Dunno what that is, but it only happens on the track, and hasn't got worse.

Good luck.
Chris Keen
'77 spider
Los Altos, CA