[alfa] Re: Busted Spider oil pan/filing a claim

In a message dated 11/10/03 7:02:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:57:40 -0600
> From: "Gregory Youngblood" <greg@domain.elided>
> Subject: RE: [alfa] Busted Spider Oil Pan
>
> The only time I've heard of anyone getting a city or county to pay for
> repairs was after a section of road had been complained about many times and
> no one did anything to repair it. In this case, probably late 80s or early
> early 90s, a guy had a lowered small truck with plastic body panels. A large
> pothole caused body damage on the front and middle of the body, plus at
> least one bent rim. People had been complaining about that pothole for
> weeks, if not months, and the city never even dispatched a crew to do
> anything. Somehow he was able to prove inaction on the city, thereby causing
> the city's liability in the matter. I think if the city had just
> investigated the site, prioritized it, and added it to the list, his outcome
> would have been different. Don't know for sure. Just repeating second hand
> information, so take with a helping of salt.
>
> However, a similar problem with bad road is going on in an area I used to
> live in. The story goes that the city is claiming the RR is responsible for
> the road going over the tracks, and of course the RR is claiming the city is
> responsible. So, of course, nothing gets done.
>
> If you can find out if anyone else has complained about the road in that
> section, and that nothing had been done about it (including no warning
> signs), you might be able to get something. But, it'll be tough I'm sure.

My then girlfriend (now wife) and I had a problem with a freeway off ramp in
San Francisco. We hit a severe series of bumps and launched the grill of a
Volvo 240, 4 door sedan off the front of the car. I called CalTrans (they had
authority and responsibility for the off ramp), they told me the procedure for
filing a claim, I did, and we eventually got a check in the mail. The key things
seemed to be: who had responsibility for the roadway, other complaints.
Stevan Thomas
73 Berlina