[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #971 - bypass restrictor installation

       Sounds like you got it backwards, but it is hard to tell over the
Internet.  On the Bosch spiders, the by pass hose runs from the thermostat housing
to the water pump.  The by pass valve fits into the upper or thermostat end,
but that is not critical.  If the valve is in the hose and facing the correct
direction, its placement in the hose should not matter.
       The Bosch by pass valve has a spring loaded valve.  The valve points
toward the thermostat.  That is the part that sounds like you have backwards.
The small end has the spring loaded end.  When the thermostat is closed, the
water has to go somewhere.  Where it goes is it pushes the spring open and goes
from the thermostat housing to the water pump.
       If the by pass valve you have has no spring loaded portion and if it
is a simple restriction of the diameter, then it should not matter which end
points where.
       I know some of the earlier Alfas had a double acting thermostat
housing.  When the thermostat was closed, the by pass was open.  When the thermostat
opens, the bottom closes off the by pass hose.  No restrictor would be
required with this set up.  But I am not sure what year Alfa had what type
thermostat.  The difference in the years gets blurred as I get older.

       By the way, I have found it easiest to just cut the by pass valve from
the old hose.  For installation, coat the valve with anti seize to help it
slide into place.  I also coat the ends of all radiator hoses with anti seize to
help them come apart easier years later.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City