RE: [alfa] GTV6 Intermittent Grunching from Standstill

The test for a properly disengaging clutch as per one of the factory repair
manuals is the following: (going from memory, as I don't have a manual in
front of me at the moment)

- with engine running and engine and gearbox at operating temperature
- depress clutch fully and engage first gear
- put transmission in neutral (keep clutch depressed)
- raise engine speed to 2,000 - 3,000 rpm for a brief period (keep clutch
depressed)
- let engine return to idle (keep clutch depressed)
- select reverse

If when engaging reverse in the last step, there is any grinding, noise, or
difficulty, it is likely that the clutch is not disengaging fully.

Generally the behavior that you describe is pretty normal for Alfas and some
other car as well (my 308 exhibits this behavior from time to time).

Usually shifting into second gear briefly before selecting first or reverse
will slow the speed of the internals down enough to keep it from grinding.

HTH, LMK if you have any questions.

Jeff