[alfa] Re: Milano ABS

Ted / All

I too have been having problems with the ABS system on my 88 Verde. Recently, I went ahead and ordered the GM/Buick Reatta rebuilt ABS pump. I ordered part #12-4407 from BBAutoParts.com. These pumps are rebuilt by CARDONE in Philadelphia, PA and come with a 1 year warranty. There are 2 different versions of this pump; one with a rigid line connection for the fluid from the reservoir and one with a connection for a hose (like the one the Milano uses).

As far as fit goes - I have not installed it yet but it looks like the mounting bracket will work as will the 12 v connector. The connector for the pressure switch is completely different and you will have to transfer the switch from your Milano pump to the replacement.

FYI, the rebuilt pump that I got came with an accumulator - however there is no way of knowing its' condition.

On replacement procedure, There was a service bulletin issued by AR with some instruction on ABS pump replacement and the need to properly prime the pump with brake fluid prior to install. I believe that this service bulletin is available on one of the Alfa websites. If you can't find it, I'll send you a copy of what I found.

Look at http://phantom.urbis.net.il/alfa75/ and http://alfa.denovich.org/Alfa/AlfaRomeoMilano for lots of great info on 75/Milano tech procedures.

I have been trying to trace down the source of my problems - yellow/orange ABS light on most of the time and the ARC red brake light error flashes once in a while. My brakes seem to work fine but no ABS action when the light is on.
To troubleshoot my system; I have measured the gap between the pickup sensors and wheel ring, checked continuity and insulation on the sensor wires, and checked the AC output of the rear sensors with the rear wheels rotating. So far everything checks out OK.

My next step is to try a local shop that may have the equipment that can plug in to the ABS cpu and decipher the error codes.

Good Luck
Frank