[alfa] Re: Milano NON-power steering conversion

hi all,

i guess this power steering thing must be a matter of taste.  i have often toyed w/the idea of switching my werde's stock p/s rack for a non-assist type, a-la my 3.0 gtwe6's....

doug s.

Precisely!
======================

<<<The power steering is almost an absolute necessity for these cars. I
have never driven, nor, indeed, heard of a power steeringless Milano,
but if it's anything like a a GTV-6 sans power steering (and it should
be since the chassis for these cars are almost identical), I wouldn't
want to. A GTV-6 that has not had it's steering upgraded to a Milano
power rack, can be, in my opinion, very unpleasant to drive, especially
at low speed. Not only is the car hard to parallel park, but it is a
real chore to drive on the road at low speed as well. It's not just the
effort required either, the manual rack is really s-l-o-w. Too slow to
make the car very tossable on country roads, which is a shame because
the car otherwise handles so well. The power rack is much quicker. My
advice is that if you have PS in your Milano, keep it. I realize that
the racks can be troublesome and leak prone, but I've rarely seen a
power steering unit  that gives so much feedback. When I replaced my
manual steering rack in my GTV-6 with a Milano power unit, the only
difference I noted was that the steering required far less effort and
was faster. The feel through the steering wheel changed so little that
I noticed no change at all. I wished the power steering in my newish VW
GTI felt as good, but alas, it's as dead as a German doorknob....