Re: [alfa] maaco paint jobs

I second what is said below (I have a few muscle cars) I have found that many
of the best resources do not advertise. They are frequently small shops with
room for 3-4 cars, they don't advertise because they don't have the room for
more business. I live in a city of 45,000, I can think of 4 shops that do not
advertise. They are small shops with a specialization. One guy does just frame
repair, another does only rust replacement, another only custom fabrication,
another upholstery, etc. While not cheap, they are not outrageous. (Most have a
shop rate of about $50.00). Particularly, when you think that there is no
place else that will even undertake this sort of work. Most of these are run by
guys in early retirement. They decided they had made a big enough pile and
quit, or have independent means (pretty common around here for people in their
50's. If your parents stretched and bought two houses, when they go you are a
millionaire). They concentrate on Hot Rods and Muscle Cars because that is where
the money is. (very few foreign cars will recoup the cost of restoration, a
well selected Muscle Car will). However, most are just Car Guys, and are
interested in any car which is interesting. They are not distressed by rust, they
expect it. They take some delight in the unique solution. If anyone south of
Boston needs a pointer, e-mail me.
Tom Faust