Re: [alfa] Re: paint jobs

Another possibility, if you are not in a hurry, is to check with a local junior college or technical school where auto body and auto painting are taught.  There are often students (hmmmm, why not yourself?) and/or insturctors looking for project cars.  Yes, the work is done by students, but with the close oversight of an experienced instructor and the students are motivated to do their best work.  This is not all they do, and it might take one or two semesters depending on the amount of work to be done, so if yu are in a hurry this is not the route to take, but if you have the time and a lack of funds this could also be a way to get a nice enough, or better, paint job for a relatively small amount of money.  Usually you have to pay for materials, but the labor is free and they often have access to the latest in technology.

Jerry in Houston

<<Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:36:16 EST
From: DickBevins@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Re: paint jobs

My 1986 Spider is looking a little tired. Structurally
perfect with no rust
anywhere, but it looks like a car that lives in New
England. After looking for
a paint shop that would do a paint job, I worked out a
deal at a place I would
not have suspected: the body shop at the dealership
where I have my wife's
Cadillac serviced. The manager takes a couple of cars
as winter projects for his
men to work on when things are slow. We agreed on
fifteen hundred dollars for
a bumper-off, same color paint job, with the hood and
trunk lid back to bare
metal, primed and refinished. I had to talk him into
OEM paint instead of base
and clearcoat, but he was happy to do it. And I don't
have to keep the car in
my own garage all winter. It might be worth checking
body shops at smaller
dealerships.>>