[alfa] Re: Help - Stripped cam bearing stud

Another way I've heli-coiled stripped threads in aluminum (Alfa V6 and
Jaguar cylinder heads) is to drill out the offending hole by hand.  Use
a  half-inch drill chuck with progressively larger drill bits to 'ream'
the hole to the required new tap size.  Takes time, but the bit seems to
follow the original hole centerline without much trouble.  FWIW, I've
never had a Heli-coil failure in a high-heat zone; they are made of
stainless steel.

Graham L. Davis, Various Alfa's, St. Louis, MO