[alfa] Re: moose hits

At 6:50 PM +0000 11/8/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:47:31 EST
From: DickBevins@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Re: moose hits

The lore here in Maine is that the moose, having had its legs knocked out
from under it by the car bumper, sort of rolls across the hood and directly
through the windshield. Force equalling mass times velocity, the result isn't
pretty.
I hate to be the nerd who posts this, but Force = mass x acceleration. Momentum = mass x velocity. (So it's also valid to say that Force = [change in momentum with respect to time].)

As for Alfa content, I actually credit the USA bumper on the GTV-6 with saving my ass when I hit a deer at ~70mph. Not because the bumpers are rated for 5mph, but because they stick out so far--the big bumper knocked the animals legs out from under it, but rather than falling on the hood and coming through the windshield as might have happened with a shorter bumper, it fell more into the grille/very front of the hood, and the change in momentum that was imparted to it by said parts of the GTV-6 sent it flying into the air at about a 45 degree angle from the ground. (It's good thing that there wasn't any oncoming traffic, because it hit the ground in the other lane of the road before tumbling across someone's lawn and almost hitting their house.)

Joe
'82 GTV-6