[alfa] Transmission looseness

Got a few questions for those who rebuild transmissisons..

I'm trying to get an idea of how or if you can judge the condition of the transmission, turning things by hand.

I have mine off for transfer to the new motor, and having read a few posts on loose input shaft bearings in the past, checked this area out.

I have a little bit of side to side play, perhaps 1/16" at the end of the shaft, just enough to be noticeable. The trans did make some moderate bearing noise when I was driving it, generally thought to not be enough to take it apart for. The pilot bushing area on the shaft dosen't look excessively worn.

Turning it by hand, I don't notice any roughness in the input shaft. Turning it in gear, I notice varying amounts of slack, depending on the gears. How much might be considered excessive? How do you fix this, shim things differently, or new gears?

Guess I'm trying to resist opening the thing up, my plan was to replace the front and rear seals and leave it alone for a while, and give up on dreams of swapping high gear syncro's into the 2nd or 1st position. (2nd of course is a little crunchy) I have no press or special tools for this.. and being recently unemployed I'm trying to save the $$ so no handing it to someone for a full rebuild.

Jon
77 Spider
Irvine, CA