[alfa] Spica timing

No, no! You are exactly as you should be.

Since you rotated 80deg (70?) backwards from the #1 intake stroke, you're almost back at the #4 power stroke.. each cylinder on the same "side" of the crank is out of phase with the other, i.e. both #1 and #4 are "up" at the same time, though one is intaking while the other is igniting and powering.

If you don't believe me, here's a quote from Wes's Spica book: "If the engine is at the correct position the rotor in the distributor will be approaching the #4 plug wire. Remember the the configuration of the pulleys will loop the same for firing the #1 cylinder and the #4 cylinder, so it its important to make sure you have positioned #4 to fire."

Not very intuitive, till you get a mental picture of what fires when. I had to go out and crank the motor over while watching the cams to make sure I didn't write this funny.. Final test, if you crank forward from the I mark, you should come up on #1 TDC during overlap, and another full rev and it should be on #1 TDC with both valves closed (power stroke) lobes out, and the rotor pointing at #1. Another almost full crank and you should see the Spica mark when you pass the I again on the way to #1 TDC overlap.

So, you're spot on, man! Now don't you feel a whole lot better?

Jon (who proudly pulled and cleaned a transmission and bell housing today)
77 Spider
Irvine, CA

Whilst the Spica unit has been removed, the distributor has not. To
replace the Spica belt, one aligns the marks on the Spica 'pulley' and
the upper mark on the unit. Then using the prescribed method - whereas
at TDC the #1 inlet lobe is just about to open the inlet valve and the
exhaust valve is just closing, one rotates the crankshaft
counterclockwise 80 degrees to align 'I' with the pointer and installs
the belt.

Should you buy the above, I would now have it pointing 180 degrees
opposite (from the original #1 on the distributor) to #4. Will admit,
the cams were removed (and replaced).

Should I now make #4, #1?

Breathlessly awaiting your answer.

Biba