[alfa] Oil types and grades

Hi All,

I see a lot of emails referring to synthetic versus conventional oils on the AD.  Perhaps
some facts I have picked up over the years might interest the readers.

Mercedes-Benz claim that there engines are run using Mobil 1.  In fact when the cars leave
the factory here they are filled with a monograde conventional oil.  After the first
1000km service they fill with Mobil 1.  The reason?  It seems that with synthetic oils the
bedding in of rings etc is delayed and a straight monograde oil does a better job.

One of the tuning shops I work with builds and maintains several racing cars, mostly
NASCAR types with V8 engines, they built the Dunlop Land-Speed record car which is
currently on its way to America for another record attempt!  These get rebuilt on a
regular basis, mainly due to ensure reliability rather than wear necessitated, although
the
occasional failure occurs, such is the life of a racing engine turning at up to 75000rpm!
On rebuild the engines are filled with SAE 30 or 40 and run like this for the first
practice session, around a total of 150kms.  After the session the oil and filter is
changed and  a 10W40 mineral oil is used.  Although there are many exotic types of racing
oil the old fashioned types seem to work just fine and sure cost a lot less than
synthetics.

One of the vehicles is a turbo-diesel Ford Ranger which competes in off-road racing.
Actually the engine is a Mazda, but as SAMCOR - the operation that builds Ford in this
country also makes the same vehicle for Mazda the preferred engine to use is the Mazda.
This runs 30:1 CR and 1bar of boost and develops a truckload of HP & torque on racing
diesel fuel, a special blend developed here by the major oil companies.  This engine runs
only on SAE 40 monograde.  It also has a Volvo fuel tank, Volvo now being owned by Ford
makes it a "legal part".

Peerring into the engine compartment of a Ferrari Mondial y'day I noticed the oil sticker
affixed in the factory.  It recommends Agip mineral oil.  I also run Agip 10W40 in my Alfa
turbo and have had great success.  Although Ferrari have recently got into bed with Shell,
Agip is a highly respected oil manufacturer of long standing.  The local Autozone sells
Agip in 5litre containers, it runs about half the price of most other oils and about one
fifth of Mobil 1.  Even if it isn't as high a spec as some others, at that price I can
afford to change the oil much more regularly than some more expensive types.

Last year I rebuilt for a friend an old Mustang Mach 1 engine (351C).  After running in on
SAE 40 the owner changed to a modern synthetic oil and the oil pressure fell dramatically.
Changing back to a monograde SAE 40 brought the oil pressure back to normal.  It seems
these older engine designs work better on straight oils.  Anyone else had similar
experiences?

John
Durban
South Africa