[alfa] Removing Smog pump bracket studs, was Unnnh, grunt...

Yep, about 5 days ago even..

In my Infinite(ly wierd) Wisdom, I decided to rebuild another engine rather than the one that came with our 77 Spider. Second engine was of 72-74 vintage. So, living in CA, and the car being a 77, of course the smog pump and it's ugly bracket, and the studs that mount it, all have to move to the new head.

I determined that a 17mm hex wrench was the size, and went hunting, finding one at a local auto store. Apparently it's the wrench size for VW oil plugs or something, so not as hard to find as you might think, as well as only about $7.

The hex plugs came out pretty easy.. just some light tapping with a hammer to get them cracked..

The steel plugs in the 77 head, were another story. Outer hex flange takes a 41mm or 1 5/8" wrench. The stud sticks out about 2 1/8", so sockets are pretty much out. Very skinny surface, and stuff in front of the engine made the pipe wrench approach not workable. Days of PB Blaster soaking didn't help. (yet) 15" cheap Harbor Freight cresent wrench didn't work. I didn't want to pay $40-50 for the set of giant wrenches they had there either.

I finally rented a giant 1 5/8" combination wrench, over 20" long, and I still had to hammer a bit to
get them cracked free.. It's all about the leverage, baby.. They came out cleanly once started. There is a little copper gasket under them so the nut heads don't eat up the aluminum.

My dark fear that they remachined that hole for some different size or thread in the plug was unfounded, they transfer without a problem. (whew)

That's about all you need to know..
Jon (back to guestimating CG point of transmission and playing with 2x4's and furnature dollys for the imminent transplanting of the gearbox.)

Has anyone actually removed either (a) the aluminum hex 'nut' or (b) the
steel stud / bolt from the front of a 4-cylinder head (without
destroying the head)?

Pray tell, please tell me how you did it. Don't worry about using up
valuable space - go into infinite detail.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA