[alfa] Re: Duetto vs Spider Susp Geometry

> Paul Bayly / Beatle asks: "I'm wondering if swapping to the 1750 (for a
> 1600 Duetto) componentry is worthwhile.   If indeed it's possible, would
> the addition of the sway bar alone suffice on a road car ?  Am I
> thinking too much !"

> **********

My advice . . . if you don't understand handling and suspension tuning,
don't mix and match springs and sway bars.   Alfa made spring rate changes
to complement sway bar additions.

The 1750 spider front suspension is superior to the Duetto.  The main
geometry change is a lengthening of the front upright.  It does move the
roll center, but more importantly, it increases camber gain . . . the rate
at which chamber changes with ride height.  More gain reduces adverse camber
due to body roll . . . in other words, the tire stays more upright.  Rear
suspension geometries are the same.

But you can't make a change at one end of the car without upsetting the
balance . . . talking oversteer / understeer here.  If you want the
advantages of the 1750 or 2000 front suspension, you need to all the parts.
Transplant the uprights, front and rear springs and front and rear sway bars
from the 1750 to the Duetto.  Do it all, or not at all . . . including the
alignment specs from the donor.

I would make the change, but you have to decide for yourself if the cost and
effort is justified.  Beg or borrow some left-seat time in a 1750 or early
2000 on your favorite Alfa road.

Regards,
-- -- --
Jim Steck, AutoComponenti