Re: [alfa] 164S idle and stumbling problem

The CLT should read the following:

Bosch : Bosch Coolant Temperature Sensor

Ohms  Deg C
15500 -20
5750 0
4000 10
2625 20
1750 30
1075 40
800 50
600 60
445 70
325 80
245 90
175 100
100  120

If it doesn't it's bad.   There are some other Bosch CLT versions that I've included in attachment (stripped from the digest, sorry).

HTH

-Peter

> Hi all,
> Still trying to diagnose my 164S rough idle and
> stumbling problem. I'm hoping that someone might think
> of a solution. Here's the chronology:
>
> - Brought car from NJ up to CO (2500 miles) with no
> problems. Drove it up to Pikes Peak (~13,000 ft
> elevation!) and down with no problems. Drove 150 miles
> to Denver and back at highway speeds, no problem.
>
> - Next day, car cranked but did not start.
> - Next day, car started but ran like a tank, whole car
> shook, felt like was running on 3 cylinders. Would not
> rev above 3500 because was so rough.
> - Had unpredictable strong fuel smells inside the
> cabin.
> - Following day, car started and drove around town,
> fine at high RPMs although rough at idle. When at
> idle, car stumbled and died, could not restart.
> - Car has been blowing black and white smoke out of
> exhaust, probably running rich.
> - Found that I could restart the car by pulling the
> fuel hose to fuel rail, draining fuel out of the rails
> (about 1 1/2 cup), turning engine to burn off excess

> fuel, then reconnecting hose and starting car.
> - Engine light comes on, Motronic gives error code for
> coolant temp sensor.
>
> Troubleshooting:
> - Vacuum leak? Seems okay. checked three hoses to
> vacuum recirc canister, to valve cover, two hoses into
> boot b/w AFM and throttle body, hose to fuel pressure
> regulator.
> - Timing? Checked timing, was okay. Aligned crank at
> TDC, cams aligned to marks under valve covers.
> - Distributor? Distributor is visually sound.
> - Plugs? Plugs look okay.
> - AFM? AFM resistance measured smoothly as flap
> rotated smoothly.
> - Coolant Temp Sensor? Resistance read 2.5K Ohms,
> continuity of wiring harness checked and was okay.
> Cleared the motronic error code, but came back next
> time car started! (Why, if sensor is okay?)
> - Heads? No evidence of leaking from head gaskets.
> - Next step is to replace fuel pressure regulator
> (coming in the mail!) to ensure no excess fuel at
> rail. COULD cause rich mixture.
> - Haven't inspected fuel pressure (don't have fuel

> press guage), but when fuel hose was unplugged while
> turning over car, fuel was coming very strong and
> steady thru hose.
>
> - Problem could be related to pressure difference
> after driving up to Pikes Peak and back down.
>
> I've had lots of varying advice, but given all the
> evidence and troubleshooting, does ANYONE have any
> clue what else could be wrong? Thanks much!
>
> Paul Niemczyk
> '91 164S 100k miles
> Colorado Springs

Bosch : Bosch Intake Air Temperature Sensor - CIS

Ohms  Deg C
2230 -10
1405 0
910 10
610 20
415 30
285  40

[...]

Bosch : Bosch Coolant Temperature Sensor NTC-M12/NTC-M12-H/NTC-M12-L

Ohms  Deg C
45313 -40
26114 -30
15462 -20
9397 -10
5896 0
3792 10
2500 20
1707 30
1175 40
833.9 50
595.5 60
435.7 70
322.5 80
243.2 90
186.6 100
144.2 110
112.7 120
89.3 130
71.2 140
57.41 150
46.88  160

Bosch : Bosch Coolant Temperature Sensor NTC-M6/NTC-M8

Ohms  Deg C
83317.5 -10
49254 0
29959.5 10
18732 20
12012 30
7893 40
5356.5 50
3651 60
2544 70
1804.5 80
1305.5 90
945 100
703.5 110
526.5 120
400.5 130
309 140
240 150
187.5  160

Bosch : Bosch Coolant Temperature Sensor NTC-M6-F

Ohms  Deg C
66115 -20
37645 -10
22209 0
13533 10
8495 20
5479 30
3624 40
2452 50
1695 60
1195 70
858.2 80
626.7 90
464.8 100
350.4 110
267.1  120

Bosch : Bosch Coolant Temperature Sensor PT-100-M14

Ohm  Deg C
100 0
103.9 10
107.79 20
111.67 30
115.54 40
119.4 50
123.24 60
127.07 70
130.89 80
134.7 90
138.5 100
142.29 120
146.06 130
149.82 140
153.58 150
157.31 160
161.04 170
164.76 180
168.46 190
172.16 200
175.84

Bosch : Bosch K-type Thermocouple Probe TCP-K

mV  Deg C
0 0
100 4.095
200 8.137
300 12.207
400 16.395
500 20.640
600 24.902
700 29.128
800 33.277
900 37.325
1000 41.269
1100 45.108
1200 48.828
1300  52.398

Bosch : Bosch N-type Thermocouple TCP-N

mV  Deg C
372 -40
485 0
790 100
1135 200
1513 300
1912 400
2327 500
2752 600
3183 700
3615 800
4046 900
4473 1000
4845  1100

Bosch : Bosch Infared Non-Contact Temperature Sensor TI-1000

mV  Deg C
1216 -20
1227 0
1240 20
1244 25
1257 40
1301 60
1328 80
1360 100
1395 120
1435 140
1478 160
1526 180
1577 200
1632 220
1691 240
1754 260
1820 280
2000 300
2200 350
2418 400
2652 450
2901 500
3163 550
3437 600
3722 650
4017 700
4321 750
4633 800
4952 850
5278 900
5610  950

Bosch : Bosch Infared Non-Contact Temperature Sensor TI-300

mV  Deg C
1176 -20
1232 0
1303 20