[alfa] Re:SF Bay Area coolant disposal

 Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:19:37 -0500
 From: "Christopher Keen" <ckeen74@domain.elided>
 Subject: [alfa] SF Bay Area coolant disposal
 However, this whole thing leaves me with a problem. I have about 2
gallons
 of old coolant I need to get rid of. I called the county, and they
directed
 me to a bunch of places that only take oil, not coolant. Can someone
tell me
 a successful (and environmentally conscious) way of disposing of this
stuff?
 My next step will otherwise be to try foisting it off on my unsuspecting
 mechanic, but I don't think he'll be too excited about it.

 Chris Keen
 '77 spider
 Los Altos, CA Been through that locally.  Talked to Metro Sewer about it
and was advised to 'just pour it down the drain' as their processing
system is set up to handle 'normal' amounts.  We do have coolant
recycling services here but local shops must pay for pick-up.  As in your
region, auto parts chain stores take in oil, but only because the
recycler will pay them for it; indepents have to pay.  I used to recycle
the plastic grocery bags and egg cartons too until I learned from a
manufacturer that they just go to warehouse and then to landfill; grocers
just take them in to 'look good'.

Graham L. DavisComposting garbage and recycling Alfa parts inSt. Louis,
MO