[alfa] Re: HELP: 95 164LS Engine Cooling Fan not running

Hi Jess -

   I've just tackled some overheating on my 94 LS.  It seems you were pretty
thorough!

I have done the following:

o The 94 manual sez the thermoswitch has 2 connectors.
  Mine has single 3 wire connector, which goes above
  radiator toward the relay. I have not verified that
  the thermo switch works at correct temperature. If I
  remove the sensor, do I have to drain the coolant first?
It has three connectors - two signals and a ground.  My sensor was bad.
Don't worry - when you remove the sensor, the coolant will drain out!  Now if you
have a friend with a spare sensor from a Milano, like I had, you can use that
as a plug so that you don't lose all your coolant.

We then took my sensor ro a VW parts house and said "I need one of these,
that comes on as cool as possible."  The Alfa part is supposed to come on low at
92C and trigger high speed at 97C.  I don't remember exactly, but I think my
replacement VW part was rated 87/92 or some such.  You'll need three crimp on
"female spade recepticles sized blue", and if you're wierd like me you can go
the the VW dealer and order the little plastic part that plugs into the sensor
to cover the connections.  It makes assembly a pain, but when you're done you
can seal the end of it with silicone and have a removeable AND weatherproof
connection.

o No 12V on the ping closer to grill from either relay
  receptacles.

      I would assume that I need 12 V here?
This is your short term problem.  You've probably got a blown or cracked fuse
strip up on the fire wall.

o Measured the 2 pings on the fan's connector,
  around 50 ohms.. I think this means fan is OKEY?

  At one instance, I actually had 12V at I99's hot pin,
  so I jumped the pings to close circuit manually on that
  relay receptacle and for a split second the fan turned
  a bit and stopped, and no more voltage measured from
  there.

Is there another fuse/relay somewhere other than the
2 relays and 1 fuse mentioned above? What should I be
looking for?

Left front of fire wall. Under a black plastic cover is a 30A (?) fuse strip.
 Cheap, but necessary.  Got mine from Vick Autosports.  Most vendors should
have them.  Get a spare or two just in case.

Thanks a bunch!

Jess

88 Verde
95 164LS Wife's car

ps. Eventhough warning light came on in the middle of
stop and go on a 90 degree day, I was able to get home
safely after waiting engine to cool down a bit and then
get back on freeway heading back, off freeway, thru the
traffic lights and got home before it gets too hot :)
Was taking visiting relatives from oversea.. we had to
settle for the old and loud Verde for the weekend....
Seems the warning is just that.  Some limited time with light on has had no
major ill effects.

So far I've replaced the coolant tank, it's cap, hoses underneath it when the
stupidly-designed PLASTIC T-connector broke, rad temp sensor, gauge temp
sensor and thermostat.    (Only water pump and rad to go!)  As is, it has only
overheated in 87+ degree ambient, and stop & go traffic.  A clear highway run
will keep it cool.

-mike mcmahon
Stafford, TX
94 164 LS