[alfa] RE: Speedos, 147 GTA's and clunks in S4 Spider front suspensions...

The speedometers on the electronic cars (1986 onward) use two motors. One
drives the speedometer needle and one drives the odometer. The two most
common failures are if one of the filament-thin wires to the odometer motor,
which is mounted in a flexible metal banded cage on the side of the
speedometer assembly, breaks loose from it's soldered end at the motor and
the other failure mode is failure of the inexpensive potentiometer that
"trims" or serves as a calibration for the dial. We have a pulse generator
that we test and adjust these potentiometers with, but nine times out of
ten, the pot should be replaced with one of better quality. I don't have the
specifics of the pot, I just pay North Hollywood Speedo to do it. I get good
service, fast turnaround and no warranty problems with them.

The "fake" 147 GTA as pictured on the e-Bay site was photographed in the
forecourt of the Museo in Arese. I recognize the paving blocks...

We've had a couple of 1991-1994 Spiders come in with "loose" feeling
suspensions. We've discovered that the lower a-arm attachments to the
crossmember on several cars have been loose... Jarman, check yours!

-Peter