[alfa] re: race tires on the street

Peter wrote...
> Unanimously, the opinion of the Falken Azenis Sport was very close to a
> race tire but not quite.   I'll read that to mean it's as close to a
> usable dual-purpose tire that's ever been made if you can sacrafice only
> a few seconds per lap for a street driving time trialer.   Overwhelming
> positive comments on the wear characteristics.

   I've actually gotten much better wear from race tires on the street
than with the Azenises I just got.  I've run both Kumhos ( Victoracers
and V70s ) and Goodyear GS-CS on the street, with limited mileage, and
never even noticed the additional wear.  I have about 750 miles on these
Azenises, the inside shoulder is more than half gone.  This is with over
3 degrees of negative camber, but I still didn't expect the Falkens to
wear faster than race tires.

> I'm going to give the Azenis a shot.   Reasoning being that if they
> don't work as well as I'd like, I can always get a second set of 'R''s
> for the track, but being wrong about the 'R's on the street can be
> dangerous.  Especially in the wet.

   The Yokohama A032Rs I used on the street for 8,000 miles were about the
best rain tires I've ever driven on.  Better than the Falkens ( which
aren't bad ).  Full tread Kumho V70s are also better.

   YMMV.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@domain.elided