[alfa] rebuilt engine oil consumption

All this talk about properly breaking in a rebuilt
motor has me wondering... What amount of oil
consumption is considered "normal" after an engine
rebuild?  It seems that anything over 1qt every
1000miles is starting to be excessive on a well worn
engine.  How about on a freshly rebuilt one?  My
freshly built motor went over 1qt in the last 1000
miles (miles 500 to 1500).  The mechanic claims it's
normal, but it seems a little excessive to me.  Also,
is there a full proof way of telling whether the valve
guides or rings are the culprit?  I can definitely
smell burnt oil the minute I step on the gas after
prolonged deceleration (e.g. at the bottom of a
freeway off ramp).   I can also see in my rear-view
mirror a cloud of smoke forming during hard
acceleration but I cannot tell if it's unburnt gas or
oil (I have no coolant or brake fluid consumption).

Thanks,
Vangelis
Mountain View, CA
73 gtv