[alfa] Re: Facet pumps

    Hi guys.  To be clear (and fair to Facet), I've had old cars where the
Facet pump it came with worked just fine.  They are popular and are now
marketed by a number of vendors, inc NAPA.  I wonder if the quality has gone
down tho, as the older ones seemed to work better than the current ones.
The problems I've had with them relate to running them dry for any length of
time - like a car you don't drive very often or a car where you're just
firing it up after a rebuild.  Under these circumstances (unless you go to
the extra step of priming the pump) the pump will take a while to actually
start drawing fuel.  In those few moments when its noisily clicking away
dry, I've had brand new pumps fail ( they continue clicking away, but just
don't move any fuel), verified by a switch to a better pump, unprimed.
Biba, since part of your problem seems to be vapor lock when it gets really
hot out there, I am thinking that the Facet pump just doesn't draw well
enough under those circumstances.
    The cylindrical type I've since switched to draw much better at a
similar psi.  They seem to be a similar solid state design, except for the
shape, and are also quieter. They are marketed by Advance Auto Parts as well
as Autozone, I believe, under the "Master" brand name.  IIRC, the part no
for the low pressure model (4 psi max) is E8016S, and the higher pressure
model (8 psi)  E8012S.  The latter are used for V8's with Holleys etc, which
seem to use a stronger float valve and have more need for fuel than our
relatively frugal 4 cyl Alfas.  I've also had good performance with the 4
psi pump feeding a single 38/38 downdraft Weber on a 2.5 170 HP BMW small 6
mill.  Cheap too - about $30 - and a limited lifetime warranty.  No
affiliation, etc - just a satisfied customer.  HTH, Ron.